CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

National Adoption Month

So November is a month that represents a time of year for being thankful and really rings in the holiday spirit (sorry Halloween but you just don't give that warm, fuzzy, lovey feeling that Thanksgiving and Christmas bring in), but November also represents something very special to me. November is National Adoption month, and many newspapers in Utah and Idaho take a section out of their paper at least once a month (or more than that, if they're like the Herald Journal) to dedicate it to adoption. Now a days everything has a ribbon (you know the yellow ribbon for the soldiers, the pink ribbon for breast cancer) well adoption also has a ribbon. It is the white ribbon. I have started my "adoption awareness" advocacy for this month. I have written an article to be published in one of the newspapers, I am going to participate in a adoption panel (where birth mothers are asked to speak to people about their experience with adoption. I will be speaking at a class that couples that are planning on adopting take), and I am also part of an online blog. If you would like to see this blog, click here. Kyle and I also plan on joining FSA (Families Supporting Adoption) this month, and I'm hoping to become a lot more active. Anyone can join FSA, so if you're interested, go ahead and join.



It was also two years ago in November that I decided to place Braxton with his amazing family. I can't believe that two years have gone by, and that I have survived it. I love seeing how big he is getting and sometimes can't believe that he'll be a big 2 in just a few months. I am so thankful for him and for his family. I have so many friends that have also placed babies, that the couple that adopted their baby didn't keep promises that were made, and don't allow the birthmoms much contact, if any. I know that to each their own, but it is really hard to see girls struggle when they were promised something much more open than they are receiving. I am so thankful that Braxton's family is understanding, and caring, and give me information about him and pictures of him. It has really helped me these past two years. I am also thankful to have a husband that is so understanding about my past, and has about as much love for Braxton as I do. It is a real help to have him there to support me.



2 comments:

Holly said...

What a beautiful post! What would we do without you and our BEAUTIFUL little boy! I have to say he is the cutest little guy around!!! We sure love you. We just got internet back up and running today, so hopefully in the next few days I can catch up on Braxton's blog for ya! :) Hope you are feeling good!

debs life said...

Hey Shanna! I got this link from the birthmoms website, I am a birthmom also. I couldn't help but notice that you have a link to Rich High School? I don't know if you went there, but if you did then you know my Aunt Betty Weston? Or maybe any of my cousins? Ashley, Vanice, Cindy, Madeline. Anyway, cute post! Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for me because I have never (since placement) taking for granted any of the blessing I have received in my life. Thanks for sharing! I also have great supportive adoptive parents. I think many bmoms are not honest enough with her aparents, and if they were they might get more of what they want.

I look forward to getting to know you better.
Deborah-